by the Israel Government Press Office
11.......The Palestinian Authority's commitment to prevent terrorism
operating from its territory has been a main component in all of
the agreements that it has signed with Israel in the past.
of this type was also included in the Tenet document, which both
sides adopted, and in PA Chairman Yasser Arafat's commitments to
Foreign Minister Shimon Peres in their 26.9.2001 meeting.
The PA's refusal
to honor the aforementioned commitments has compelled Israel to
deal with Palestinian terrorism directly and use all means at its
disposal in order to foil planned attacks.
PA and Terrorism - Data (4-10.10.2001)
- Shooting attack at Afula central bus station; three Israeli citizens
killed, 14 wounded.
2) 4.10.2001 - Shooting attack at vehicle in Tulkarm area; one Israeli
3) 6.10.2001 - Mortar shell fired near Tekoa.
4) 6.10.2001 - Shooting in Hebron; one soldier lightly wounded.
5) 7.10.2001 - Shots fired near Talmon; one Israeli citizen wounded.
6) 7.10.2001 - Suicide-terrorist blows himself up near kibbutz Shluchot;
one Israeli citizen killed.
7) 8.10.2001 - Knife attack near Elon Moreh; one Israeli citizen
8) 8.10.2001 - Shots fired at vehicle in Gush Katif; one person
9) 9.10.2001 - Shots fired at vehicle near Oranit; one Israeli citizen
10) 10.10.2001 - Shots fired at vehicle in Samaria; two Israeli
It should be
noted that the foregoing attacks were perpetrated by terrorist sources
in the PA, both those defined as "opposition sources"
as well as sources associated with the PA.
that were prevented:
- Apprehension of car bomb on the border of Jerusalem that was intended
to be blown up in Jerusalem.
2) 8.10.01 - Elimination of Hamas cell in the act of planting bomb
Nahal Oz's fence.
to Arrest Terrorists:
recent months Israel published a limited list containing the names
of 108 principal terrorists whose arrests were requested in order
to prevent pending planned attacks.
· In response to Palestinian requests, the list was reduced
to 48 terrorists who were of the highest priority.
· In response to Palestinian requests, the list was further
reduced prior to the Peres-Arafat meeting to 10 names.
· This list was reduced further and the PA reported the arrests
of only four terrorists.
· According to solid information provided by Israeli security
sources, two of the four terrorists were never arrested, among them,
the symbol of the PA's lack of prevention, Attaf Abiat, murderer
of the late Sarit Amrani and responsible for the firing of mortars
on Gilo and a long series of other attacks.
· Another one of the four who allegedly was arrested appears
to continue to maintain contact with his cadres, relay instructions,
receive reports, etc.